Partners & Companion Synods
Companion synod relationships of the ELCA connect Lutheran churches throughout the world with ELCA synods and congregations. These relationships are concrete expressions of the communion and fellowship with the more than 140 Lutheran member churches of The Lutheran World Federation. Each of the 65 synods has at least one international church companion and many have additional relationships, resulting in more than 120 companion synod relationships.
These relationships are rooted in “accompaniment,” which promotes the values of mutuality, inclusivity, vulnerability, empowerment and sustainability. Through the program, companion churches and ELCA synods nurture and strengthen one another for life and ministry through prayer, study, communication, exchange of visitors and sharing of resources.
The Southeast Michigan Synod has two such companions:
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land (ELCJHL)
- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania (ELCT) – Mbulu Diocese.
- Pray regularly for our Companion Churches, both personally and in your congregational prayers.
- Check the Companion Synod Packet for prayer ideas and watch the Bishop’s Newsletter and Companion Synod Emails for prayer requests from our overseas partners.
- Check the website and e-news for information from our Companion Churches.
- Read the Global Mission Updates from the ELCA to stay informed.
Stay informed about the Global Ministry we share in through the national expression of the ELCA. The ELCA has a robust global ministry and you can find plenty of opportunities for being involved in that ministry through publications like, “Global Links,” and “Hand In Hand.” You can view and/or subscribe to both of these resources here.
The ELCA offers an exciting opportunity for young adults called, “Young Adults in Global Mission” (YAGM), which gives them a intentional time to live and become immersed in a community. Visit (need link) for more information.
If you would like to have someone with experience from our Companion Synods, World Hunger and / or Refugee & Immigration programs to speak to your congregations about these topics, contact one of the staff listed below to make arrangements with your congregation.
- Ecumenical Theological Seminary
- Holden Village — Chelan, Washington
- Living Waters Ministry
- Lutheran Men in Mission
- Mission Investment Fund
- Portico Benefit Services
- Samaritan Counseling Center
- Samaritas (formerly Lutheran Social Services of MI)
- Southeastern Pennsylvania Synod of the ELCA
- Trinity Lutheran Seminary at Capital University
- Women of the ELCA/WELCA
- The Episcopal Diocese of MI
- ELCA Youth Gatherning
- LuMin (Lutheran Campus Ministry Network)